Have you ever wondered if there’s a step in your facial process that you can skip? Would it be revolutionary if you didn’t have to buy moisturizer? My ZO Skin Care rep and I have had several discussions on this topic and she maintains the philosophy that if you’re using the proper serums for your skin that you no longer need moisturizer too. So I thought I’d put it to the test!
What Did I Use?
So for my experiment I chose some of my personal favorites.
In the morning:
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Vitamin C Serum – because I have to have my antioxidant
- ZO Skin Care’s Daily Power Defense – an enzyme that helps with redness and overall health of the skin at the DNA level
- HydraFirm – this is for the eye’s, have to keep them nice and tight
- ZO Skin Care’s Ossential Sunscreen Primer
In the evening:
- ZO Skin Care’s Growth Factor Serum – stem cells are essential to maintain collagen plus this has my retinol mixed in too
- Skinceuticals B5 Gel – this hyaluronic acid is amazing for keeping those fine lines at bay
- ZO Skin Care’s Olluminate Intense Eye Repair – this great night time eye cream really packs a punch
- Revitalash Advanced Lash Conditioner – have to keep those lashes booming
So I began my experiment in late October (just for weather perspective). It was a little tough the first week because the temperature was just shifting to putting the heater on and that is the WORST time to try to live without extra hydration. I must say though, it was easier than I expected. I was slightly less hydrated than normal but it truly wasn’t too bad.
The next week things seemed to get even easier. I suppose you could liken it to training yourself to wash your hair less, your body begins to adjust to what you are feeding it. The ZO Philosophy is that by adding moisture you are actually teaching your skin to make LESS moisture on it’s own. I suppose there is some logic to that but what a hard concept to try!
Honestly by the 6th week (this week), I don’t miss moisturizer at all, which totally surprises me. The furnace is firing like crazy and yet, I’m still completely hydrated! I definitely think this is doable and it’s a blessing to have one less step to do.
Some Extra Important Notes
I have been using most of the serums for awhile, I do think it’s important to have identified the best serums for your own face first.
You definitely could not do this without serums to balance the quality of your skin.
I do get regular facials which absolutely helps keep my skin in shape too.
If all you are using is moisturizer and sunscreen, DON’T give up your moisture.
To Wrap It Up
It was pretty easy and I’ll likely stay with this program for awhile and see what happens. If you want to know more, ask me next time you see me!
Here are a few more thoughts on the topic from others:
-Jennifer is a blogger, mom and owner of Elemental Esthetics in St Louis, MO
Leave your skin care comments/questions below and follow me on Twitter to continue learning about beauty and health issues.